Editor’s Note: This article was lost in a website outage and is being republished now. If you previously commented on this, we apologize.
Hopkinton’s Select Board met Tuesday, March 17, for a wide-ranging session. It opened with sharp criticism from residents over the town’s handling of a convicted sex offender’s business license. The board then moved through a series of approvals and heard a legislative update from Beacon Hill lawmakers. In addition, they addressed a critical drought affecting town water customers.
Residents Renew Demands Over Hillers Pizza Licensing
Beth Malloy
Beth Malloy referenced a recent television news report in which a woman alleged that Sismanis assaulted her in 2016. This happened while she worked at Hillers. The woman alleged that Sismanis lured her behind a dumpster and attempted to kiss her. Allegedly, he was intoxicated at the time. According to the somen, Sismanis later threatened her after she reported the incident to Hopkinton Police. Malloy said similar concerns surfaced in a 2018 executive session, citing allegations that Sismanis had provided alcohol to minors.
Malloy mentioned concerns from the minutes of a 2018 executive session meeting. She believes that explains why (then) Select Board member Brendan Tedstone refused to sign Hiller’s license four times. She blamed the 2018 board, subsequent boards that renewed it — including in 2024 — and the police chief.
John & Marie Lascowski
John Lascowski of Ashland challenged the town’s official response, issued January 20, 2026, to earlier forum comments. He acknowledged that the town correctly noted Hillers had not held an entertainment license since 2019. According to Lascowski, the license type requires an annual criminal background check, known as a CORI. He said the the response failed to disclose that fact.
He then turned his focus to Town Manager Elaine Lazarus. According to Lascowski, Lazarus was quoted in the Hopkinton Independent, acknowledging that a CORI was never run on Sismanis. Lascowski asked why no background check was conducted over more than six years of license renewals and town inspections. He requested a direct answer from both the town manager and the board at a future meeting.
Marie Lascowski, also of Ashland, told the board that 224 days had passed since residents first presented documented evidence of licensing failures. She pointed to errors in a license transfer application from the January 16 meeting. The town manager had told the board that the application was in order. The Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission later rejected it. Marie Lascowski called for an independent investigation, arguing that no institution can credibly investigate itself.
HopNews published a Letter to the Editor raising many of the same concerns.
Consent Agenda and Nonprofit Fundraisers
The board approved routine items in a block vote. Approvals included minutes from the February 24 meeting. Also approved were several donations to town funds and temporary alcohol licenses for two nonprofit fundraisers.
The Hoyt Foundation received a license for its annual Yes, You Can Run/Walk event at EMC Park on April 11. Project Just Because received approval for a fundraiser at St. John Church that evening. Both nonprofits were granted fee waivers. The board also approved a parade permit for a Boston Marathon-related 100-yard dash event on April 18.
Senior Car Parade Permit Draws Debate Before 4-1 Vote
Board member Matt Kizner asked to pull the Class of 2026 senior car parade permit from the consent agenda. He wanted it to be a separate discussion. He described the event as a COVID-era tradition that has outlived its purpose. The parade routes through Main Street on a Saturday morning. Kizner said residents regularly tell him it’s disruptive.
Allison Murphy, co-chair of the parade, addressed the board at its invitation. She said last year’s event ran just 25 minutes from start to finish. Murphy added that she has never received a complaint. The parade is a meaningful milestone for families who cannot hold a traditional graduation celebration, said Murphy.
Kizner acknowledged her points but maintained his preference for moving the event to Loop Road. Other board members were supportive. Vice Chair Shahidul Mannan called it a growing community tradition. Amy Ritterbush noted that the parade had been significantly shortened. This was in response to guidance from the police and fire departments. Brian Herr called it a great community event. The board voted 4-1 to approve the permit, with Kizner casting the lone dissenting vote.
BAA Previews Six-Wave Start for 130th Boston Marathon
Representatives from the Boston Athletic Association appeared before the board. They outlined plans for the 130th Boston Marathon on April 20, 2026. BAA President and CEO Jack Fleming thanked the town and its departments for their continued partnership.
Start Operations Manager Dan Satchwell described the most significant change for this year. He said they are shifting from a four-wave start to a six-wave start. The overall field size remains at 30,000 registered participants. The change was developed in coordination with Hopkinton public safety and the Department of Public Works. Its goal is to reduce crowding, particularly near the CVS area and the corner of Main and Grove Streets.
A new athlete routing option through Maple and Church Streets has been added. Additional portable restrooms (120) and a water stop have been placed near St. John’s Church. Satchwell said residents in newly affected road closures will be notified before the race. They will receive letters four weeks before the race, with details for access to their homes and crossing the course. A broader community letter is planned for April 6.
Both the fire chief and police chief expressed support for the plan. The police chief noted the six-wave structure reduces crowd density and adds a second evacuation route compared to prior years. Hopkinton High School will again serve as the athlete village. The board voted unanimously to approve the marathon parade permit.
State Legislators Deliver Budget Warning and Local Wins
Senate President Karen Spilka
and State Representative James Arena-DeRosa attended the meeting to deliver a legislative update.
Spilka said Massachusetts revenues are running just above projections, but deep federal budget cuts have created a significant gap. She said the state faces nearly $4 billion in lost federal funding. This is affecting healthcare subsidies, SNAP benefits, Pell grants, K-12 education, and early childhood programs. She urged the board to plan conservatively and said the town should not count on those federal dollars materializing.
On the local front, Spilka highlighted several funding gains since 2020. Chapter 70 school aid increased nearly 55 percent. The special education circuit breaker tripled. Chapter 90 road and bridge funding more than doubled. She also cited specific recent investments. Spilka cited four local wins: $60,000 for library accessibility, $700,000 for school mental health, $400,000 for EV charging stations, and $850,000 toward a future Hopkinton-area YMCA. Spilka also noted a recently passed Senate bill banning cell phone use in schools during the school day.
State Representative James Arena-DeRosa
Arena-DeRosa focused on energy costs and immigration. Constituents have shared utility bills showing a gas pipeline leak-repair program now costs far more than promised, Arena-DeRosa said. Originally billed at about $5 per month, it now makes up 30 to 40 percent of some residents’ bills. A new energy bill preserves Mass Save funding and calls for an inspector general review.
On immigration, he said the state is protecting due process rights where it can. Federal enforcement limits what state law can accomplish.
He told the board to start talking to congressional offices now about capital projects. Federal funding moves slowly, he said. He flagged the senior center as a potential project for a small federal earmark for energy system upgrades. Board members raised concerns about primary care access, PFAS and manganese in the water supply, and transit coverage. Both legislators were thanked before departing.
Town Meeting Warrant Takes Shape
The board reviewed the draft warrant for the May 2, 2026, annual town meeting. Members voted to recommend approval of articles 1 through 10, excluding article 6. The operating budget is pending action by the appropriations committee. The board also recommended approval of a pilot agreement for the Franklin Road Solar Farm. One member recused from that vote. The board approved three easements for Verizon and Eversource related to Charleswood School. It also approved a residential driveway turnaround at 145 Hayden Row. Several other articles were held for future discussion or hearings on April 7. Those include citizens’ petitions and a civil fingerprinting item.
Drought Ban in Effect for Municipal Water Customers
Town Manager Lazarus informed the board that Hopkinton has been under a critical drought designation since March 9. The town declared a mandatory state of water supply conservation. It prohibits all outdoor non-essential water use for customers on the municipal system. That includes watering lawns, washing vehicles, and filling pools. The ban has been in effect since mid-March and is not limited to garden watering alone.
Board members asked for clarity on enforcement. They requested a future report from the Department of Public Works and the Water Advisory Board. They want to know both short- and long-term drought planning. The board also authorized posting an open position for an assistant water and sewer manager at DPW.
Closing Business and Executive Session
The meeting closed with liaison reports. Members noted the Hopkinton Cultural Council’s recent grant award ceremony. They also noted the upcoming unveiling of the Bobbi Gibb statue on March 27.
The board then voted to enter executive session. This was to discuss litigation strategy related to firefighter turnout gear. And also the potential acquisition of real estate at 280 Cedar Street.

